How does VITA Work?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) is nationwide, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sponsored volunteer program that provides free tax preparation services to qualifying taxpayers. To qualify, there should be a household income less than $57,000, OR the taxpayer is an elder (over age 65) OR has a disability. The IRS requires that all VITA volunteers complete training and pass a certification test to provide taxpayers with tax preparation services.
Contact our office to schedule an appointment to prepare your federal and state taxes for free by Certified Tax Preparers.
What do you need to Bring?
- Married taxpayers will need to sign the intake/consent forms, even if they are filing separately.
- Photo identification card/s (each taxpayer must provide an ID)
- Social Security or ITIN cards for each person listed on the return
- Completed, if possible, intake and consent forms. These will be mailed or emailed to you when you make your appointment.
- Tax documents; a list of possible documents will be included in the email or mailed forms.
LRUW VITA: Tax Clinics
February 1 thru April 1, 2023
Please call Lumber River United Way for an appointment: 910-739-4244
*Note: 1st appointment will be to complete intake forms and upload all documentation. A second appointment, either in-person or over the phone, will be necessary to review and sign the return before we can e-file it.
CLINIC DATES, TIMES, AND LOCATIONS: All appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes.
We will not take new tax returns after April 1, 2023, so we have sufficient time to contact all taxpayers.
Margaret Crites, Community Engagement Manager
Lumber River United Way
301 N. Water Street
Lumberton, NC 28358